Monday, August 26, 2013

Before & After - vintage regency dresser

Okay.  I don't have a picture of the before shot of the dresser - totally forgot as I was just too excited to paint the dresser.  I so love this dresser.  It has clean simple lines, it is vintage and it is all wood.  I had a blast refinishing this piece and learned so much in the process.  It definitely takes longer than one would think to paint a dresser, especially when one is OCD such as myself in regards to these things.

First, I sanded down the whole dresser and the drawers - initially with an electric sander and then sanded it down by hand using a fine grade sandpaper.  I primed the dresser and painted the dresser/drawer fronts in "Navy Blue" from the Rust-O-Leum enamel line using a paintbrush.


Now, using a paintbrush does take a lot of time especially if you are trying to get a nice smooth finish, but it was well worth it.  In between coats, I would hand sand it again with fine grade sandpaper to smooth out the surface.  Finally, I painted a protective, shiny coating over the paint to protect the color and the dresser itself.  And, voila!  One week later and a few hand cramps along the way.  This was the finished look.




Love was definitely in the air along with the sawdust.  Definitely worth the time, don't you agree?  Took longer than expected, but I wanted to do it right the first time around.  

Now, I bought the dresser initially to put it into the dining room to use as our sideboard, but the dimensions/look wasn't quite right with the style of our dining room.  So, I eventually sold the piece for a nice little profit.  Happy that someone else loved it as much as I did.

Cheers,

P-Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment